City council will decide later today how to replace former Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday. There are two options on the table: hold a byelection (Mayor Rob Ford's choice) or appoint someone to the position until the end of the current term in 2014. Some members of council say an election, which would cost around $225,000, is a waste of money for a short term. What do you think is the best option?
The police officer who tasered Sammy Yatim after he had been shot eight times is under investigation and could face charges. Chief Bill Blair's probe in to the shooting of the teen on a Toronto streetcar is legally mandated to investigate any of the officers involved in the incident, except Const. James Forcillo, the officer charged with second-degree murder in the case. The person who deployed the taser hasn't been named.
The supports for the Crazy Mouse roller-coaster at the CNE are living up to the ride's name. The 130,000-kilogram structure is resting on stacks of lumber wrapped in cellophane, which inspectors say is perfectly safe and standard practice for the traveling amusement industry. The plastic wrap helps keep the blocks in place and indicate shifting even if it does look a little makeshift.
Fishing for food in Toronto Harbour might not be as gross as it sounds. The bass, pike, and carp lurking in the heavily-trafficked water's depths are on the rebound, thriving in the cleanest water the bay has had in decades, according to the Globe and Mail. Would you eat fish from the bay?
A tiny little property in Toronto's east end could be the smallest house in the city if it had the necessary permits. The converted garage, located just south of Coxwell and Danforth, is on the market for $229,000 and although it looks like a little cottage, the building is actually a workshop and isn't technically allowed to be occupied as a dwelling.
FROM THE WEEKEND:
- The top 50 brunch restaurants in Toronto
- This Week in Theatre: Next to Normal, The Merchant of Venice, Macbeth, Anton in Show Business
- This Week in Comedy: ALTdot Comedy Lounge, I Ain't No Joke Indian Edition, and Comical
- What's a Saturday night like at Crews & Tangos?
- A brief history of the Canada Life weather beacon
- 8 must-see Galas and Special Presentations at TIFF 2013
- New Island airport tunnel closes 155 years of separation
- 5 tips for making the most of your TIFF experience
- Where to get Eggs Benedict at Yonge and Lawrence
- Elderly woman's nose severed in daylight attack in downtown Toronto [Global News]
- Worker killed in 55-storey fall from Toronto building [CBC]
- Drowned boy's parents won't face charges, police say [CBC]
- Toronto Beach favourite back from the dead, with pens [Toronto Star]
- Mark Buehrle, Blue Jays rally to avoid sweep by Astros [CBC]
Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.
by Chris Bateman via blogTO