This Week in Music rounds up the latest news, releases and concerts coming to Toronto.
Digital Dreams will release full line up by April 14
Yup that EDM fest where an artist called "Bro Safari" can't be taken ironically (Bro Safari! Why didn't I think of this?) is almost done announcing their 80+ artist line up. Follow them on Twitter for the next couple of weeks to find who who is joining Bro Safari, Tiesto, Justice, Deep Dish, Art Department, and others this June.
Jason Doell wins 2014 Toronto Emerging Composer Award
If you need to relax, meet your new friend Jason Doell (follow him on Soundcloud here). The lover of music boxes and delicate sounds (and ex Vulcan Dub Squab mem) was so deserving of this recognition that my faith in music prizes is sort of restored. I'm not going to write about the Junos, so enjoy this peaceful Leikey Designs promo video that Doell composed music for.
New Toronto vids from best to worst
Rich Kidd - The Valley
Rich Kidd's pal turns down a sexy sounding party outside of Cosmos Records. Kidd's like, c'monnn. So they all go to a fancy mansion and party at this Eyes Wide Shut kinda thing. Stuff gets messed up. Cannibalism messed up. Toronto's veering toward the weird and I like it.
Weaves - Buttercup
This cute Weaves single has grown on me over the past few weeks. The video is a fun green screen animation where singer Jasmyn Burke maintains badass style. It's funny in a way that would have fit on MySpace back when your top 8 included your favourite MS Paint artist, and and that's okay. I still love my favourite GTA-based MS Paint artist (V-Unit forever).
Odonis Odonis - Order in the Court
Another animation but this one is taking notes from Bosch, and by notes I do mean images. If you showed Hieronymus Bosch this video, would he show his support with an involuntary headbang? Or would he eat your face.
Tokyo Police Club - Hot Tonight
If there actually is an arcade game about touring Canada can someone please let me know.
The Strumbellas - Sailing
Amazing that putting a CanCon indie twist on a viking treasure hunt concept makes viking treasure hunts look unbelievable twee and snoozy. A guy from Sum 41 directed this so maybe Sum 41's next album will be about portaging across the Shield? I'll keep you updated.
This week's hot ticket
Petra Glynt and US Girls at AGO's First Thursday / April 3 / 7pm / $12
Two of the best acts going in Toronto will play AGO First Thursday, where you can get a preview of the gallery's new Francis Bacon/Henry Moore exhibition too. Drumstick-wielder, sampler-programmer, unbelievable voice Petra Glynt has come a long way since I had to fight like a rabid dog to get this site to post about her music last year. US Girls may or may not play with live drums but I'm game to test those waters.
Vierance EP Release / Baltimore House (Hamilton) / April 4 / 10pm
Goth party of the week is the launch of Deth Records with this EP release by Toronto duo Vierance. If you can listen to Trust without complaining that it's retro or whatever, this is where you need to be on Friday. In Hamilton. Where the real people are. Can't make it? The Toronto release is April 26 at Double Double Land.
Recently announced concerts
- FKA twigs / April 14 / Wrongbar
- Vierance / April 26 / Double Double Land
- Jason Doell / May 15 / The Music Gallery
- You've Changed Records 5th Anniversary / May 22 / The Horseshoe
- Jesse Lanza / May 23 / The Garrison
- Timber Timbre w Cold Specks / May 23 / Massey Hall
- Cœur de pirate / May 31 / Massey Hall
- Sage Francis / June 2 / The Opera House
- A-Trak / June 6 / The Hoxton
- Elvis Costello / June 14 / Massey Hall
- Peter Murphy / June 16 / Lee's Palace
- White Lung / June 29 / The Garrison
- Queen + Adam Lambert / July 13 / Air Canada Centre
- Fleetwood Mac / October 18 / Air Canada Centre
What we got up to this week
- The top 5 dance parties in Toronto April 2014
- Beaches Jazz Fest gets grant after all (so lay off Drake)
- The top 10 songs from Toronto bands March 2014
- Childish Gambino full of energy at the Sound Academy
- The top 5 electronic labels that shaped Toronto
- DJ Harvey casts 4 hour spell on Foundry's dance floor
by Aubrey Jax via blogTO