Toronto events!!!

Toronto Fun Parties

Monday, May 25, 2020

John Tory apologizes for not social distancing at Trinity Bellwoods Park

Uproar this weekend over the massive crowds and lack of social distancing at Trinity Bellwoods Park saw one unlikely figure emerge as part of the narrative: Mayor John Tory.

The mayor was spotted in the park on Saturday afternoon after touring through the east end where more streets had been opened as part of the ActiveTO program.

He then headed west to where he heard thousands had gathered in Bellwoods, apparently looking to "determine why things were the way they were" in the busy park.

Photos show him talking to people in the park and wearing his face covering incorrectly.

People were quick to criticize the mayor for not practising responsible physical distancing or properly wearing his mask.

Tory issued an apology late last night on social media.

"I fully intended to properly physically distance but it was very difficult to do. I wore a mask into the park but I failed to use it properly, another thing I'm disappointed about," he said in a tweet.

"These were mistakes that I made and as a leader in this city, I know that I must set a better example going forward."


by Lisa Power via blogTO

No comments:

Post a Comment