What's open and closed in Toronto on New Year's Day 2020 is vital information to find your way around the city on a day where seemingly everything is shut down. Similar to Christmas Day, it's one of the few days of the year when most of the of the city is on pause.
Here's what's open and closed on New Year's Day in Toronto.
- Government office
- Mail delivery
- The TTC will run on a Sunday service schedule.
Food and Drink
- Most major grocery chains will be closed on New Year's Day with a few confirmed exceptions listed below.
- The Beer Store
- Galleria Supermarket (7040 Yonge St.) - 24 hours
- Galleria Supermarket (865 York Mills Rd.) - 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Galleria Supermarket (558 Yonge St.) - 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Galleria Supermarket (351 Bloor St. West) - 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Rabba (various locations) - 24 hours
- The Food Depot (115 Dupont Street) - 24 hours
- The Kitchen Table (10 Queens Quay West) - 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- The Kitchen Table (389 Spadina Road) - 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- The Kitchen Table (595 Bay Street) - 6:30 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- The Kitchen Table (705 King Street West) - 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Popbox MicroMrkt (725 Dovercourt Rd.) - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Whole Foods (87 Avenue Rd.) - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Select indie bottle shops. For a complete list of shops in Toronto, see this directory. Holiday hours are provided where applicable but we advise calling ahead to confirm.
- Bayview Village Shops
- CF Fairview Mall
- CF Sherway Gardens
- Dufferin Mall
- Scarborough Town Centre
- Yorkdale Shopping Centre
- CF Markville (5000 Hwy 7) - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- CF Toronto Eaton Centre (220 Yonge St.) - 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Hillcrest Mall (9350 Yonge St.) - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Pacific Mall (4300 Steeles Ave. E.) - 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Promenade (1 Promenade Cir.) - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Square One Shopping Centre (100 City Centre Dr.) - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Toronto Premium Outlets (13850 Steeles Ave. W.) - 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Vaughan Mills (1 Bass Pro Mills Dr.) - 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Yorkville Village (55 Avenue Rd.) - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Canada's Wonderland
- Gardiner Museum
- Hockey Hall of Fame
- Museum of Illusions
- Aga Khan Museum (77 Wynford Dr.) - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Art Gallery of Ontario (317 Dundas St. West) - 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Bentway (250 Fort York Blvd.) - 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- CN Tower (301 Front St. West) - 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Harbourfront Centre (235 Queens Quay West) - 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Movie theatres
- Ontario Place (955 Lake Shore Blvd. West) - 5 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Ontario Science Centre (770 Don Mills Rd.) - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Ripley's Aquarium of Canada (288 Bremner Blvd.) - 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Royal Ontario Museum (100 Queens Park) - 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Toronto Zoo (2000 Meadowvale Rd.) - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Union Skating Rink (61 Front St. West) - 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
by Jaclyn Skrobacky via blogTO